How to obtain an Alien Registration Card (외국어 등록증):

Your Alien Registration Card (ARC) will be your identification card during your stay in Korea. You must carry it at all times!


You should apply for your ARC at the Daegu Immigration Office within 90 days of your arrival in Korea. You will need this card in order to open a Korean bank account, get your paycheck deposited, purchase a cell phone, and other important things. It is highly recommended that you apply for your ARC as soon as possible. Your co-teacher should be aware that you'll be needing this card ASAP, but if nothing is mentioned in the first few days or so, feel free to ask about it.

Since there are two large in-takes of NET's each year, the Immigration Office tends to be extremely busy around those times. They may tell you it may take up to a month to receive your ARC. It may very well take that long, but usually it takes about 2 weeks. You will need to go back to the Imigration Ofice to pick up your card or pay extra to have it mailed to you (suggested if you live far away from the Immigration Office).

Required Documents for E-2 Visa Holders:
  1. Passport
  2. Application Form (available at the Immigration Office). You will need to know your home address and phone number (Home Country), and address and phone number in Korea (address of your apartment and school phone number if you do not have a personal phone number at the time)
  3. Original Contract
  4. 1 Standard Color Passport Photograph (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
  5. Certificate of Business Registration (사업자등록증 - provided by your school)
  6. Processing Fee for Alien Registration: 10,000 won

Directions to Daegu Immigration Office:
Subway: Take line 1 (Red Line) towards Ansim. Get off at Dongchon Station and go out of Exit #1 and walkstraight for about 100m. Cross the street and go left. The immigration office will be on your right next to the police station.

Daegu Immigration Office (출입국관리사무소) Information:
Address: #1012-1 Geomsa-dong, Dong-gu, Daegu
Tel:1345 (National - English option available) or 053-980-3521 (Daegu)
- Korea Immigration Service :
- e-Government for Foreigners :
Business Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm

For information on renewing your E-2 visa (which will be noted on your ARC card), please see here.